Thursday, July 15, 2021
Omni Hotel, 212 Ridge McIntire Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22903
Deadline to cancel and request a refund is July 9.
8:00 am Breakfast
9:00 am Training (to include sessions on budgeting, the role of public officials, and more!)
12:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm FOIA COIA
5:00 pm Institute Concludes
VML Contact: Mitchell Smiley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hotel Reservation: Room block is per diem rate for Charlottesville (plus taxes/fees). Rooms may be reserved by using the group booking link. Or by calling 1-800-843-6664, ask for the VML Block Code: 071421VML
The deadline to reserve a room is Friday, June 25, 2021, requests received after this date will be accepted based on availability.
Thanks to our Gold Level Community Business Members Dominion Energy and Virginia Housing who make this, and other VML events throughout the year, possible.
VML’s Newly Elected Officials Conference provides a valuable opportunity for both new and seasoned public officials to learn from speakers with extensive experience working with local government officials. Furthermore, the conference offers an excellent opportunity to learn what it takes to succeed and how to avoid common pitfalls as an elected official.
Topics typically covered include (but are not limited to):
- How the Virginia Municipal League works for you
- ABCs of Local Governing
- Budgeting Basics
- Innovation, Financing and Foresight (speakers sponsored by VRSA)
- Council / Manager Form of Government
- Investment / Finance
- Public Officials’ Liability
VML Contact: Jessica Ackerman, email@example.com
Past Presentations from July 9th & 10th, 2020 :
- Budgeting Basics: Amelia Marchant — Budget Director, City of Roanoke
- NLC: Katie Colten — Member Engagement Manager for the South Region, National League of Cities (NLC)
- FOIA for Local Elected Officials: Alan Gernhardt — Executive Director, Council for the Virginia Freedom of Information Act Council
- Council – Manager Relations: presented by Debbie Kendall — Town Manager, Town of Gordonsville
- Investment & Financing Options for Local Governments: presented by Bob Lauterberg — Director, VML/VACO Finance and staff
Certificates of Completion for the Summer 2020 NEO have been emailed to all confirmed participants of this event. If you haven’t received yours or would like a printed certificate mailed please contact Jessica Ackerman at firstname.lastname@example.org with your information.