Performs difficult technical and administrative work interpreting and enforcing Zoning Ordinances and related land use and development ordinances; does related work as required. Thorough knowledge of the philosophies, principles, practices and techniques of zoning as they pertain to findings and zoning activities; thorough knowledge of the various codes and regulations pertaining to land use and zoning; ability to present the results of field inspections and research effectively verbally and in written form; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, government officials, representatives of other agencies and the general public; ability to interpret and apply legal requirements and standards; and excellent interpersonal skills. Performs related work as required.
The employee must exercise independent judgment, initiative, attention to detail and provide excellent customer service. This position is a full time (minimum 35 hours per week) salaried position. The position reports to and serves under the direction of the Director of Planning and Zoning.
• Reviews zoning permits for compliance with adopted codes and performs site inspections prior to approval of permits.
• Reviews applications for variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions and zoning changes; prepares recommendations for the Planning Commission, the Wetlands Board, the Historic Review Board, County Administrator; and/or Board of Supervisors consistent with the County Code.
• Coordinates assistance on planning and zoning issues with other County departments.
• Reviews and approves zoning permits, including review of site plans; for construction, renovations and other miscellaneous items, and forwards approved zoning permits to the Building Official.
• Initiates enforcement proceedings when code violations occur; prepares letters and/or contacts property owners by phone; prepares data for court and testifies on ordinance and code violations.
• Serves as the Secretary to the Board of Zoning Appeals, prepares agendas, staff reports and gives presentations.
• Answers general questions regarding legal descriptions, floodplain information, zoning, census, and general community information.
• Reviews development plans for local zoning requirements with other staff members.
• Reviews and approve routine sign applications.
• Maintains all necessary records for day-to-day activities and permanent fi