Web Interaction Designer
James City County’s Information Resources Management (IRM) Department is seeking an individual to perform responsible work developing, designing and programming interactive features on the County’s internet and internal employee web portal
• Designs, builds and maintains web components guided by strong understanding of User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) principles; continually improves existing components to provide rich web experiences for users; manages intranet and internet systems; updates, troubleshoots and maintains associated software.
• Maintains ongoing knowledge of platform and feature enhancements for CMS, document management systems, asset management systems; assist with document management and data management projects such as creation of forms, workflows, dashboards, charts and reports; leverage APIs to connect digital content to third-party solutions.
• Leads user research and usability testing when needed or appropriate; reviews and manages web sites for proper use based on needs, requirements and County policy; edits sites and content based on the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
• Works with staff to test and validate web components; implements, monitors, assesses, and reports for website analytics; manages user activities when appropriate; coordinates and communicates with creative, technical, strategic and project management teams; provides training on web platforms to end users through formal and informal sessions.
• Conducts research into viable, cost effective software systems for web content managers; presents results from research; installs and maintains the technical infrastructure for these systems.
• Validates online services to meet usability guidelines. Understands web search engine optimization and Section 508 compliance; adopts appropriate web technologies to ensure websites remain an effective tool for all constituent groups; manages the County’s search presence on the internet; corrects any erroneous results where possible.
• Provides vision for future enhancements to websites and mobile apps; keeps current on interactive design and user experience best practices and processes