Waterworks Operator (Apprentice/I/II/III/IV) – Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant
• Operate, maintain, and repair RO Plant mechanical equipment, diagnose operational and mechanical problems.
• Operate and maintain chemical feed equipment to include calculating chemical feed dosage rates for various water treatment processes.
• Calibrate water analytical instruments and maintain laboratory equipment.
• Record operational data including the analysis of a variety of water parameters to determine operational performance.
• Operate, monitor and record data in the operation of the distribution system including pressures, tank levels, flow rates and water quality through a computer based system and make necessary adjustments to meet water supply quantity and quality.
• Once trained, performs work during their shift. Rotating day/night shift including weekends.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of water production facilities and water treatment.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Valid Virginia Waterworks Operator Class III license is required or must be obtained within the time limits specified in the Waterworks Operator job description.
• Must have the ability and tolerance to function in an environment that requires the use of respiratory protection devices.
• Knowledge of mechanical maintenance, plumbing, and basic electrical work related to pumps, instrumentation, valves, piping, meters, and other water related equipment and processes.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations in calculating chemical dosages, converting units and measurements and performing laboratory analysis.