Water Production Apprentice / Specialist I / Specialist II
The James City Service Authority seeks career-minded individuals to assist, learn and perform work operating, maintaining, and repairing the JCSA’s Water Production Facilities including wells, storage units and booster stations and related mechanical equipment. This is a full-time position with career ladder advancements.
Classification Title Salary Range Salary
Water Production Apprentice Grade 8 $28,823 / yr or higher DOQ
Water Production Specialist I Grade 9 $30,992 / yr or higher DOQ
Water Production Specialist II Grade 10 $33,324 / yr or higher DOQ
• Performs or learns daily inspections of well, pumping and disinfection facilities on assigned route; records various readings, pump run times and performance parameters.
• Performs or learns to test and monitor the operation of pumps and motors; starts and exercises generators; checks fluid levels; performs distribution system flushings.
• Performs or learns to operate, maintain, and repair facility mechanical equipment, diagnose operational and mechanical problems.
• Performs or learns to operate, monitor and record facility operational data including pressures, tank levels, flow rates, production and make necessary adjustments to meet water supply quantity and quality.
• Performs or learns to operate and maintain chemical feed equipment to include calculating chemical feed dosage rates for water treatment processes.
• (Water Production Specialist I) Assists in performance of corrective maintenance, repairs and modifications to facility equipment; assists in the operation, maintenance and the performance of preventive maintenance to facility equipment.
• (Water Production Specialist II) Operates and maintains facility equipment. Performs corrective maintenance, repairs and modifications to facility equipment; Initiates troubleshooting actions independently.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must have the ability and tolerance to function in an environment that requires the use of respiratory protection devices.
• Required to fulfill all requirements of the JCSA’s Respiratory Protection Program
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to use hand tools and basic knowledge of mechanical maintenance and repair.