Water Distribution Apprentice
James City Service Authority (JCSA) seeks individuals to perform responsible work installing, maintaining, repairing, and constructing JCSA’s water and distribution systems. There are three levels in the Water Distribution series distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee. Position is eligible for Full-Time County Benefits.
Apprentice – $28,538 / year or higher DOQ
Specialist I – $30,685 / year or higher DOQ
Specialist II – $32,994 / year or higher DOQ
• Work as a member of a crew performing manual labor installing, repairing, and maintaining JCSA water infrastructure.
• Operate or learn to operate heavy equipment.
• Serve as the confined space attendant for no potential, low potential, and hazardous atmosphere environment and associated Lockout/Tagout Procedures.
• Perform administrative tasks such as preparing work orders, mapping infrastructure, and taking hydrant measurements.
• Conduct or learn to conduct water distribution infrastructure inspections that center on JCSA standards; catalog problems for repair purposes.
• Flag and control traffic in accordance with State regulations.
• Serve as a first-responder on an on-call basis when assigned; will be required to assist wastewater personnel with troubleshooting/repairs as necessary.
• (Water Distribution Specialist I) Monitor testing devices for confined space.
• (Water Distribution Specialist II) Serve as competent person during excavation operations and during confined space entry activities as the entry supervisor; evaluate work sites and determine materials, tools, and equipment needed to perform jobs.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must obtain Virginia Class A Commercial Driver’s License within 4 months of hire.
• Must have the ability and tolerance to function in an environment that requires the use of respiratory protection devices; required to fulfill all requirements of the JCSA’s Respiratory Protection Program.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.