Wastewater Facilities Mechanic
James City Service Authority (JCSA) seeks an individual to perform experienced work operating, maintaining and repairing JCSA’s Wastewater Collection Facilities including related wastewater mechanical equipment.
• Diagnoses operational and mechanical problems within the wastewater collection facilities; calculates pump parameters and adjusts impeller diameters and operating clearances to maintain pump operation at peak efficiency. Learns to balance demand, pump curves, and force main head pressures to assure proper pump operating conditions.
• Completes corrective maintenance and modifications to facility motors, pumps, controls and related equipment.
• Performs preventive maintenance such as oil changes, fuel injection system services, electrical inspections, cooling system changes; gathers data for predictive maintenance program.
• Evaluates pH, dissolved oxygen, H2S, oxygen reducing potentials and bacteria levels for wastewater evaluation and odor control.
• Serves as competent person directing maintenance operations, during confined space entry activities as the entry supervisor and oversees employees associated Lockout/Tagout Procedures.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; considerable experience in the inspection, maintenance and repair of wastewater pumping facilities.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of mechanical maintenance, plumbing and basic electrical work.
• Knowledge of related Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) laws, practices and procedures that are associated with wastewater collection facilities; maintenance and repair for utility facilities and systems; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to prepare and interpret materials and equipment specifications; use precision hand tools (micrometers, vibration analysis, micrometers, etc.); communicate effectively orally and in writing; prepare and interpret materials and equipment specifications.
• Must have the ability to use a respirator