Wastewater Facilities: Apprentice/Specialist I/ II
James City Service Authority (JCSA) seeks an individual to perform responsible work in the operation, maintenance, and repair of the JCSA’s wastewater collection facilities. There are three levels in the Wastewater Facilities series distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee. Position is eligible for Full-Time County Benefits.
Apprentice: Salary Range 8, $28,823 – $46,117 / year DOQ
Specialist I: Salary Range 9, $30,992 – $49,597 / year DOQ
Specialist II: Salary Range 10, $33,324 – $53,318 / year DOQ
• Perform or learn daily inspections of wastewater facilities including pumping and power generation equipment on assigned route; record various readings, pump run times, and performance parameters; perform or learn testing and monitoring of operation of pumps and motors; start and exercise generators; check fluids and perform basic wet and dry well cleaning.
• Perform or learn corrective maintenance, repairs, and modifications to facility motors, pumps, controls, and equipment; perform or learn preventive maintenance of wastewater facilities on their route; and, perform or learn maintenance, repairs, and modifications to facility motors, pumps, controls, and equipment.
• Serve as confined space attendant for no potential, low potential, and hazardous atmosphere environments and associated Lockout/Tagout procedures.
• Specialist I Only: assist in performance of corrective maintenance, repairs, and modifications to facility motors, pumps, controls, and equipment; and, perform preventive maintenance tasks such as oil changes, fuel injections system services, electrical inspections, cooling system changes, and vibration and temperature analysis.
• Specialist II Only: initiate troubleshooting actions independently and may be engaged in planning, coordinating, and assigning priorities; and, serve as competent person during maintenance operations and during confined space activities.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some related work experience.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria;
• Must have the ability and tolerance to function in an environment that requires the use of respiratory protection devices.
• Some knowledge of safe and effective use of hand and power tools.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.