Utility Maintenance Trainee
The public works department provides its employees a clear path for growth by providing unique training opportunities in both the skilled trades and technical field positions. The department promotes a team building environment by dedicating resources for training opportunities both formal and on the job which increases the efficiency, effectiveness and overall strength of the department.
The purpose of this position is to provide entry level training to candidates lacking professional experience in the routine maintenance and repair of equipment and instruments associated with treatment of wastewater and delivery of drinking water at the Town’s wastewater treatment facility (WWTF), wastewater lift stations, drinking water booster stations, and drinking water distribution system maintenance. Trainees are provided initial learning opportunities regarding the performance of essential functions associated with utility maintenance to include water sampling, plumbing, pumps, electrical, facility/building maintenance, supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) operation, and heating/air conditioning (HVAC). The employee will begin training to acquire the competency to fulfill the job duties and essential functions of their assigned crew. The trainees are required to attain a basic working knowledge of tools, equipment, and vehicles assigned by their supervisor or the supervisor’s designee.
Education and Experience
• High School diploma or GED, or equivalent education, training, and experience
• Experience operating general hand and power tools
Licenses and Certifications
• Valid Virginia driver’s license, with the ability to meet and maintain Town insurability requirements with a minimum of two (2) years driving experience.
• Obtain Class B Commercial Driver’s License Learner’s Permit (within six (6) months of hire date)
• Obtain and maintain Work Zone Safety, VA Flagging, Blood Borne Pathogens, and CPR & First Aid certification