Utility Account Representative
The James City Service Authority (JCSA) is seeking an individual to perform responsible work assisting new and existing customers in JCSA’s water/sewer connection and billing/payment processes.
• Assist with processing customer billing for services provided by JCSA/Hampton Roads Utility Billing Service (HRUBS); interpret, maintain and update information from a variety of databases and other local utilities to ensure accurate information regarding all accounts, reports, bills and equipment replacement.
• Research and resolve problems through a variety of methods; negotiate payment extensions or arrangements with customers; initiate non-payment cut-offs or meter removal for broken payment plans; review customer accounts; complete leak adjustment process and post to customers’ accounts; coordinate service cut-off process with HRSD to address discrepancies and provide accurate cut-off list.
• Respond to emergency and non-emergency service related phone calls, e-mails and work orders from staff and inquiries from the public; appraise calls for service to determine cause of problem; dispatch appropriate crew or technician.
• Coordinate water meter readings with meter readers; initiate work orders for new or terminated service, water flow checks, meter leaks, water quality and related work; communicate results as needed either verbally or in writing with customers; calculate and process payments for water/sewer tap fees on new construction.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma, preferably supplemented by college level courses in accounting or business management; some experience working in utility billing or accounts receivable/payable including experience involving public contact and customer service.
• Knowledge of data entry, automated financial recordkeeping systems and various microcomputer software packages; standard office procedures, practices and equipment; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees and the public; maintain complex records, assemble and organize data and prepare reports from such records; exercise independent judgment.