JOB TITLE: TRANSPORTATION PLANNER LOCATION: PLANNING DEPARTMENT
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: PLANNING DIRECTOR PAY GRADE: 20
LAST REVISION DATE: 9/2/2021
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
The Transportation Planner position works under limited supervision from the Planning Director, performing a wide variety of activities associated with both short-term and long-range transportation planning efforts. Typical responsibilities of this position include providing staff support to local and regional transportation boards and committees, developing annual work programs utilizing local and regional/state transportation funding, and review and analysis of development proposals. This position is funded by revenues received from the Central Virginia Transportation Authority (CVTA). Performs other work as required.
• Serve as staff support to the New Kent County Board of Road Viewers and assists with the development of an annual transportation work program recommendation for the Board of Supervisors.
• Assists the Board of Road Viewers with the annual update of the County’s Secondary Road Six-Year Plan.
• Attends regional and local transportation meetings as the County’s Representative, such as the PLAN RVA Transportation Planning Organization (TPO), Central Virginia Transportation Authority (CVTA) and its associated committees, and New Kent Transportation Safety Committee meetings.
• Preparation and administration of VDOT Smart Scale applications.
• Review of zoning, subdivision, and site plan submittals.
• Assists with the development and update of the County’s Comprehensive Plan.
• Manages transportation improvement projects utilizing CVTA funding.
• Conducts research and develops policies, programs, and studies for a wide range of local transportation needs.
• Assists with the planning and development of transportation projects that utilize regional funding such as RSTP and CMAQ.
• Researches and compiles information as requested by the Planning Director, County Administrator, staff, and citizens.
• Completes technical reports and surveys, extracting information and utilizing various other packages.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The Transportation Planner should possess a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices, and research methods related to urban, transportation, and regional planning; considerable knowledge of regional transportation issues, p