Town Planner Assistant
This is a professional position responsible for the administration of the Town’s zoning and land development regulations, performing a variety of tasks related to permitting, plan and application review, customer service, records management, research and analysis. The Town Planner Assistant is the primary staff support to the Planning Commission, and Architectural Review Board and provides support to the Town Council and other Town committees as needed. Work Schedule is up to 25 hours per week with some evenings for meetings is required.
Skills and Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. A qualified individual with a disability must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Bachelor’s degree in planning or related field;
• Strong desire to continuing to further training or education to remain current with trade practices
• Knowledge of Town Charter, related ordinances, and the policies, procedures and regulations governing municipal government
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with elected and appointed officials, citizens, and staff
• Ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy in contentious or confrontational situations
• Ability to critically assess situations, problem solve and work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities
Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques and law of contemporary zoning administration and urban planning, includes a working knowledge of applicable Federal and Virginia enabling legislation and laws.
Ability: Ability to plan, organize, and complete research, including statistical analysis. Demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively and accurately in oral, written, and graphic form. Strong organizational skills should also be demonstrated.
Skill: Good customer service skills and ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the public, staff, and Town Officials. Demonstrate an ability to read, comprehend and review site plans, subdivision plats, construction plans, architectural plans and maps. Demonstrate working knowledge of computers, keyboarding, word processing and database management software.
Contact Emily Kyriazi at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information