Town Manager – Williamstown, MA
Town Manager, Williamstown, MA (pop. 7,806). Williamstown is located in northwestern Massachusetts in the Berkshires about one hour east of Albany, NY and 20 minutes south of Bennington, VT. An historic and beautiful community, Williamstown is home to Williams College, a top liberal arts college, committed to community engagement.
Located only three hours from Boston and New York City, Williamstown enjoys a large tourism-based economy with up to 250,000 visitors each year. Williamstown has a vibrant arts and cultural community and is home to the world-renowned Clark Art Institute and the award-winning Williamstown Theatre Festival.
The Town has approximately 99 employees, and a $26 million combined budget. The Town’s municipal operating fund is about $8.7 million. The Town holds an Aa1 bond rating.
The Town is seeking a collaborative professional with strong communication skills.
The successful candidate will:
• Possess an open, transparent, and communicative management style;
• Have proven financial/analytical skills, experience in economic development is a plus;
• Able to foster a strong team working environment, with mentoring and strong human resources skills;
• Have a passion for public service, and an enthusiasm for helping build a diverse and inclusive community;
• Have an understanding and appreciation for the Open Town Meeting form of government; and
• Have a record of accountability, accessibility and transparency.
Candidates should also have:
• A bachelor’s degree or any equivalent combination of training and experience that brings the knowledge, abilities, skills and leadership to the management of a complex organization;
• A Master’s degree in public administration, business administration or other advanced executive level training such as ICMA credentialing, or the MA Municipal League’s Suffolk University training will be viewed favorably;
• Five to seven years of increasingly responsible public, private or non-profit sector executive level experience; and
• Proven managerial and interpersonal skills to lead a dynamic, financially fit organization in an active, engaged, and highly-educated community.
The Town Manager is appointed by the Board of Selectmen. Residency is required within a reasonable time after appointment. Starting salary range: $125,000 – 145,000+/- DOQ, plus exceptional benefits.
Candidates should apply by August 30, 2021.