Town Manager for Town of Independence
JOB DESCRIPTION TOWN MANAGER
Reports directly to Independence Town Council. Is responsible for planning and direction of
activities of the town. Oversees functions of all departments with managers of those departments
reporting to them. Requires overall good communication, problem solving, planning, and leadership
skills. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously using accepted organization methods
and prioritization skills. On a day-today basis, this position has the full responsibility to see
that all functions of the Town of Independence are carried out efficiently and effectively.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF JOB:
• Attends all meeting of Town Council and advises Council.
• Communicates financial information to council and makes recommendations on future needs.
• Prepares annual budget for submission to Council.
• Responsible for administration of budget after adoption.
• Arrange for annual audit of finances by CPA and for a report to council.
• May attend all meeting of boards, commissions or agencies created for and by the Council, but
does not have a voting right on these groups.
• Responsible for implementing policies of Council.
• Supervise departments of Public Works, Police, Administration/Finance, Water andSewer
Utilities, DMV Select office.
• Generally responsible for planning maintenance, capital, water/sewer, streets, and roads –
including budget preparation. Plans are prepared and presented for Council approval.
• Investigates and recommends grants and/or other funding sources for Town projects.
• Work with existing local businesses and future businesses for greater economic opportunity for
Town of Independence
• Work with county-wide and regional groups to promote the Town as an integral part of Grayson
County, Mount Rogers Planning District and other entities throughout the New River Valley.
• Responsible for personnel and human resources activities involving interviewing, hiring,
• Negotiate service contracts for town for insurance, banking, engineering, etc.