Town of Bridgewater
The Town of Bridgewater seeks applications for its first Town Engineer. The position will be open until filled.
The following excerpts from the Town’s personnel manual describe the job, but because the position is new, there is some room for the successful candidate to define it. Moreover, if the manual overreaches in terms of qualifications, they could be scaled back also. Still, the excerpts set out our best thinking about who the engineer should be and what the engineer should do. That said, we expect the engineer’s daily focus to be in five areas:
• Administration of our MS4 system,
• Plan reviews and inspections for municipal infrastructure,
• Design work on garden-variety matters and liasing with outside engineers on more complicated matters,
• Building our GIS system, insofar as it relates to infrastructure, and
• Serving as all-around engineering sage. (See Gilligan’s Island—Professor)
If you can see yourself here, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.
FROM FY22 PERSONNEL MANUAL
(1) General Statement of Duties. Serves as the technical advisor to the Town Manager and other senior staff on environmental and engineering matters; responsible for the timely and efficient engineering behind all Town projects, whether such engineering is performed internally or contracted out; has overall responsibility for the Town’s geographic information system; supervises Environmental Agent and Construction Inspector; such other duties as his Supervisors may prescribe.
(2) Expected Attributes of Town Engineer. Ability to design garden-variety water, sewer, drainage, and similar projects, and oversee their completion; ability to provide insight into the feasibility of proposed projects, both routine and novel; ability to coordinate affairs with outside engineering firms and opine on their charges.
(3) Required Attributes of Town Engineer. A professional engineer’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
(4) Direct Supervisor. ATMA.
(4) FLSA Notes. Exempt. (Professional.) Salaried.
(5) Pay Grade. P8 ($55,075-$80,000).