Therapeutic Recreation Leader
James City County Parks and Recreation seeks enthusiastic individuals to assist in supervising, organizing and planning before and after school and summer programs for the inclusion of persons with disabilities. Successful candidates will have knowledge of diverse types of disabilities and be able to communicate effectively; work collaboratively with teachers and parents of those with disabilities; convey a positive attitude towards others; and have the ability to solve problems creatively. Classes and camp schedules vary Mon-Fri between 7:00 am – 6:00 pm and occasional evenings and weekends.
• Leads, teaches and oversees participants with disabilities with varying ages, abilities and skill levels in a variety of recreation programs, events, facilities and other related activities or services.
• Assists in planning and implementing disability specific activities in the areas of social, cognitive, emotional and physical development; ensures implementation of participants’ accommodation plans; ensures accurate documentation of participants’ progress when necessary.
• Establishes and maintains rapport with participants, parents, school staff, administrative officials and other community partners; responds to customer inquiries and/or complaints.
• Assists in reinforcement of daily living and self-help skills; accompanies participants on field trips; works with participants and develops behavior modification skills to ensure a safe environment for play and participation; physically retrains participants when necessary.
• Assists in reporting all accidents, incidents and disciplinary actions to a supervisor; oversees proper use of facility, equipment and supplies.