Therapeutic Recreation Leader
James City County Parks and Recreation seeks enthusiastic individuals to assist in supervising, organizing and planning before and after school and summer programs for the inclusion of persons with disabilities. Successful candidates will have knowledge of diverse types of disabilities and be able to communicate effectively; work collaboratively with teachers and parents of those with disabilities; convey a positive attitude towards others; and have the ability to solve problems creatively. Classes and camp schedules vary Mon-Fri between 7:00 am – 6:00 pm and occasional evenings and weekends.
• Lead, teach and oversee participants with disabilities with varying ages, abilities and skill levels in a variety of recreation programs, event, facilities, and other related activities or services.
• Assist in the planning and implementation of disability specific activities in the areas of social, cognitive, emotional and physical development; ensure implementation of participants’ accommodation plans; ensure accurate documentation of participants’ progress, when necessary.
• Establish and maintain rapport with participants, parents, school staff, administrative officials, and other community partners; respond to customer inquiries and/or complaints.
• Assist in reinforcement of daily living and self-help skills; accompany participants on field trips; work with participants and develop behavior modification skills to ensure a safe environment for play and participation; be able to respond appropriately during a behavior crisis.
• Assist in reporting all accidents, incidents and disciplinary actions to a supervisor; oversee proper use of facility, equipment, and supplies.