Technician II – Grounds
Do you want to use your technical skills to enhance the public’s quality of life by developing and maintaining a safe system of open spaces and public facilities for the use and enjoyment by the public? If so, the Parks and Recreation Department’s Technician II – Grounds position may be the right career for you!
Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications for the Technician II level may be considered for other levels within the department at an annual rate commensurate with applicant qualifications.
As a Technician II, you will:
– Make inspections to determine the condition of parks/facilities and other areas as to their need for maintenance care and recommend/coordinate course of action for needed repairs and/or further maintenance;
– Serve as the primary point of contact for contractors providing maintenance activities on equipment at all Parks and Recreation locations, buildings, and facilities;
– Observe contractors on-site to ensure service is accurate, appropriate, and effective;
– Perform other duties as listed in the job ad on the City’s website.
Minimum Requirements for Technician II Level:
– Any combination of education and experience equivalent to:
…High school diploma or GED; and
…Significant experience in the performance of general maintenance, grounds keeping, or parks maintenance work.
– Vocational/technical certificate in one related field required at time of hire. Vocational/technical certificate in electricity, plumbing, HVAC systems, horticulture, or forestry required or the ability to obtain one within six (6) months of employment;
– Valid driver’s license. Current possession of or the ability to a valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License Class B within six (6) months of hire date, or as class scheduling permits.
– At least 18 years of age by hire date.
– Coursework in horticulture, forestry or related field preferred.
– View the physical requirements of this position on the City’s website.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete a City of Harrisonburg online employment application, to include previous work experience and education history. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 05/13/2022)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.