Technician I – Street Maintenance
Do you want to use your technical skills to enhance citizens’ quality of life by providing efficient public services and constructing, operating and maintaining the City’s infrastructure? If so, the Public Works Department’s Technician I position in Street Maintenance may be the right career for you!
As a Technician I in Street Maintenance, you will:
– Operate medium to large motorized equipment and make minor repairs to equipment;
– Operate smaller handheld tools, including concrete saws, jackhammers with air compressors, and more;
– Install, repair, maintain, and clean facilities and grounds;
– Set forms and grades to pour sidewalks, curbs, ADA ramps, slabs, and foundations;
– Perform other duties as listed in the advertisement on the City’s website.
A detailed list of the ideal candidate’s knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position is available in the Technician I class specification on the City’s website.
Minimum Requirements for Technician I Level:
– High school diploma or GED and moderate (1-3 years) experience in the operation of motorized equipment used in facility and ground maintenance, including experience in concrete work. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be accepted.
– Valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) required. (Applicants without a CDL will be considered for other levels and will be required to obtain a CDL within 6 months of hire. On-the-job training is provided for candidates without a CDL.)
– At least 18 years of age by hire date required.
– Ability to participate in a rotating, stand-by work program for off-hours emergency response is required.
– View the physical requirements for this position on the City’s website.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application, including previous work experience and education history. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 12/16/2022)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.