Technician I – Sanitation Refuse
Do you want to use your skills to enhance citizens’ quality of life by providing efficient City services? If so, the Public Works Department’s Technician I – Sanitation Refuse position may be the right career for you!
The Public Works Department Technician I – Sanitation Refuse is a full-time position with benefits. Applicants who cannot meet the qualifications for the Technician I level may be considered for another level within the department at an annual rate commensurate with applicant qualifications. The preferred hiring ranges for all levels at which candidates will be considered are below; however, an exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
– Journeyman: $14.68 – $16.88 per hour
– Technician I: $15.56 – $17.89 per hour
The Technician I – Sanitation Refuse position:
– Collects municipal solid waste, bulk/yard debris material and other trash by moving cans and containers placed for collection and dumping into trucks, operating hydraulic mechanisms for compressing and dumping refuse and riding on rear/side step of a moving refuse truck;
– Tags refuse for noncompliance;
– Operates specialized equipment independently in connection with the solid waste transfer station;
– Performs proper handling, spill prevention/response and cleanup procedures for fuels and other pollutants to minimize entry into storm water system;
– Performs snow and ice removal by operating refuse truck with snow plow attachment and other equipment;
– Participates in rotational standby program.
To find out more information specifically related to this position, please visit: https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/employment.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted on the City’s website (https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/employment) until a suitable pool of candidates is received. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted on the City’s website on 12/18/2020)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.