Technician I – Parks Maintenance
Are you seeking employment that allows you the opportunity to make a visible impact in the local community each day you come to work? If so, apply to become a Technician I – Park Maintenance with the City of Harrisonburg’s Parks and Recreation Department!
Applicants who cannot meet the qualifications for the Technician I level may be considered for another level within the department at an annual rate commensurate with applicant qualifications.
As the Technician I in Parks Maintenance, you will:
– Mow grass, edge sidewalks and curbs, weed eat, trim trees and shrubs, spray herbicides, remove leaves and debris, and perform related landscaping duties in the maintenance of park grounds;
– Plant and maintain planting beds, medians, and parks;
– Design, participate in, and supervise the planting of flowers and shrubbery beds;
– Assist with the planting, transplanting, fertilizing, trimming, spraying, and general care of plants and trees in City parks and on City-owned and maintained properties;
– Assist with horticultural planning and design;
– Perform other duties as listed on the City’s website.
– Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or GED and moderate (1-3 years) experience in the performance of general maintenance, grounds keeping, or parks maintenance work.
– At least 18 years of age;
– Trade certifications and coursework in maintenance, horticulture, forestry or related fields preferred but not required.
– Valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) required or the ability to obtain within 6 months of employment;
– View the physical requirements for this position on the City’s website.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete a City of Harrisonburg online employment application, to include previous work experience and education history. The first review of applications is expected to begin by December 28, 2021. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 12/14/2021)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.