Summer Reading Assistant (Seasonal)
• Performs all aspects of summer reading that includes talking with, and listening to children, awarding incentives, and maintaining records of progress.
• Prepares and performs age-appropriate story times and assists with other youth programs, including outdoor programs.
• Collects, records and reports summer reading statistics.
• Maintains appropriate supplies of summer reading materials, including prizes and incentives.
• Assists with library operations including emptying book drops, shelving materials, and maintaining the children’s area.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some college and/or public library experience preferred; some experience working with youth.
• Skill in working with children and caregivers, along with excellence in customer service.
• Basic computer literacy skills.
• Ability to interact and communicate with youth and adults in a pleasant and effective manner; accurately collect, record and report summer reading statistics; independently plan and organize daily work and special projects, set priorities, use time effectively and meet deadlines.