Solid Waste Superintendent
James City County’s Solid Waste Division seeks an individual to perform experienced official and administrative work managing the Solid Waste Division including residential, bulk waste, and recycling collection, posting closure maintenance of the County’s landfill and compost facility, and coordinating of disaster.
• Provides effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work, and related activities.
• Institutes appropriate procedures to ensure the effective operation of County convenience centers, including coordination with contractors, managing personnel, and provision of necessary equipment and material to ensure excellent customer service.
• Collaborates with the Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA) to manage curbside and drop-off recycling collection programs and household hazardous waste collection program.
• Coordinates field duties needed to operate effective white goods, tire, brush and waste oil recycling programs and the bulk collection program; coordinates the County’s disaster debris management activities.
• Oversees all activities necessary to comply with state and federal permit requirements associated with a closed landfill to include property maintenance, coordinating with a consultant to operate gas and groundwater monitoring, coordinating with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ), and correcting any deficiencies identified by the consultant or VDEQ.
• Develops annual and long-range maintenance plans, schedules and budgets for the Solid Waste Division; researches and prepares cost analysis for and writes specification for division equipment needs.