Senior Planner – Deputy Zoning Administrator
James City County’s Zoning Division seeks an individual to perform experienced/advanced professional work assisting in the organization and direction of the enforcement of the County’s zoning ordinance which includes the reviewing and interpreting voluntary proffers, special use permit conditions, and other related permits and participating in the development of various technical tasks in support of the Planning Division.
• Reviews, organizes, interprets and ensures compliance of all voluntary proffers, special use permit conditions, and other related permits; reviews development plans associated with proffers or special use permit conditions and provides written comments; collects, adjusts, and verifies cash proffer payments using Consumer Price Index and Marshal and Swift Building Cost Index.
• Reviews zoning and related permits for compliance with applicable ordinances; compiles, verifies, and investigates complaints, disturbances, or violations of county ordinances; reviews evidence and meets with violators, assembles, prepares evidence, and serves as expert witness in court cases.
• Maintains databases of violations, proffers, and other related information; compiles and analyzes data for cumulative impacts and development tracking; coordinates maintenance of the Geographic Information System (GIS) map layers related to zoning with county staff.
• Performs duties of Zoning Administrator in his/her absence; provides guidance and training to staff.
• Prepares written and oral reports for action by Zoning Administrator, Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission, and/or Board of Supervisors.
• Processes and reviews legislative and administrative development applications (rezonings, special use permits, subdivision plans, site plans, etc.) for adherence to County goals and policies; prepares recommendations and reports on assigned cases.
• Performs independent and detailed work on projects, policies, and recommendations concerning the development of the County; assumes lead roles on projects such as budget development, capital improvements plan, and Comprehensive Plan Review; manages assigned projects and cases by coordinating and facilitating inter-departmental and inter-agency review.