Senior Network Engineer
SUMMARY: Performs responsible technical work analyzing, troubleshooting and configuring switching, routing, and firewall hardware and software systems and complex local and wide area networks. Limited supervision is exercised over a small group of technical staff members. Work is performed under regular supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
• Works as an integral member of the technology support team;
• Assists the Information Technology Director with needs analysis, planning, procurement and implementation of technology systems;
• Manages the work order system;
• Interacts with vendor support representatives and uses a variety of resources to research solutions to technical support issues;
• Represent the department in meetings concerning technology with city officials, consultants, vendors, and staff;
• Monitors performance of network and servers to identify potential problems and bottlenecks;
Education and/or Experience: A Bachelor’s Degree in a technology related field or education/ experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree is required with significant experience in the design, installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of large scale local and wide area networks supporting voice, video, and data. Experience with Cisco ASA firewalls is required. Experience with VMware virtual technologies including SAN, network firewalls, web application firewalls, wireless, Windows based server software, including active directory, Exchange, and SQL Server; familiarity with the IBM iSeries 400 (i5) system and application software a plus. Experience in Internet Web resources and e-mail, as well as supervisory experience is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: As a minimum, CISCO and CCNA certification is required. Higher level CISCO knowledge and certification in the areas of routing and switching, and network firewalls is preferred. Possession of a valid and appropriate driver’s license.
This classification specification is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned and required by management. This classification does not constitute a written contract of employment