Senior Network Engineer
SUMMARY: Performs responsible technical work analyzing, troubleshooting and configuring switching, routing, and firewall hardware and software systems and complex local and wide area networks. Work is performed under regular supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
• Works as an integral member of the technology support team;
• Assists the Innovation & Information Services Director with needs analysis, planning, procurement and implementation of technology systems;
• Interacts with vendor support representatives and uses a variety of resources to research solutions to technical support issues;
• Represent the department in meetings concerning technology with City officials, consultants, vendors, and staff;
• Prioritizes work and provides project management;
• Determines technical staff training needs and provides and arranges for training as required;
• Designs, installs, configures, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs local and wide area networks supporting voice, video, and data;
• Documents network layout and keeps current using tools such as Microsoft Visio;
• Specifies, installs, configures, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs routing and switching hardware and software;
• Specifies, installs, configures, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs computer system hardware and software;
• Creates standard equipment maintenance schedules, and performs preventative maintenance as required;
• Establishes and maintains repair logs to identify troublesome components and equipment;
• Oversees all facets of information technology security;
• Protects the integrity of integrated systems data (including system backup and restoration), maintains confidentiality of computer codes and other sensitive information, provides network support by monitoring user ports and solving problems when necessary;
• Monitors performance of network to identify potential problems and bottlenecks;
• Assists in developing and implementing disaster and system-wide backup plans;
• Maintains skills and technical knowledge through self-study and formal and informal coursework.
For the complete listing for this position, and to apply, please visit the city of Winchester’s website ate www.winchesterva.