SENIOR DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
This position will not be filled until September 1, 2022 at the earliest.
Hanover County Administration is seeking a Senior Director of Community Development to lead our excellent team of professionals in both our Planning and Building Inspection Departments. The perfect leader for this role will consider themselves a dynamic leader in the Community Development arena who is passionate about being a public servant, excels under pressure, and enjoys problem solving. If you have these characteristics and more, we encourage you to apply for this opening!
General Description: This is an executive level, professional position. The incumbent oversees and manages the operations of both the Planning and Building Inspection departments, as well as the Comprehensive Plan.
Organization: The Community Development Director reports to the Deputy County Administrator and supervises multiple departments and staff.
• Directly supervises the Planning Director and Building Official, as well as admin staff and the Comprehensive Plan manager. Ultimately
oversees the activities of the Planning and Building Inspection Departments.
• Serves as advisor to the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission and other municipal officials on questions relating to the Planning
and/or Building Inspection departments.
• Manages and oversees the operations of all related Committees (i.e. Historical Commission, AFD Advisory Committee,etc.)
• Liaison to all related regional bodies (i.e. PlanRVA)
• Creates any necessary policies and works with staff on their execution.
• Manages the proffer process (i.e. collection, tracking, application, guidance,etc.)
• Manages all related policies and ensures that policies are effectively carried out
• Directs financial operations of both departments, including developing and monitoring of budget.
• Formulates and oversees the executing of a long-range comprehensive planning program for the balance development of the community.
• Directs the formulation, modification, maintenance and interpretation of detailed plans for the physical development of the County.
• Prepares reports and makes presentations as needed.
• Directs and works with the Planning Director and Building Official on all relevant website updates
Hiring range is $150,000 – $160,000, plus excellent benefits. For more information or to apply for this position, please visit our career site at www.hanovercountyjobs.com (804) 365-6075