Williamsburg Regional Library, a nationally recognized, star-rated library, is looking for public-service focused individuals to join our security team. WRL contributes to a strong, informed, and resilient community by providing access to resources, programs, and public spaces. WRL delivers outstanding and equitable library services to all members of a diverse region.
Security Monitors maintain order, discipline, and safety throughout WRL’s facilities, parking lots, and grounds. Security Monitors investigate complaints of disruptive user behavior and handle each situation appropriately, recommending appropriate action. Security Monitors provide excellent customer service by greeting users and offering assistance as needed. Security Monitors assist Program Services staff in cleaning and setting up meeting rooms as needed.
• Conducts regular checks on the security of the Williamsburg Regional Library’s buildings, parking lots and grounds; works closely with library directors, managers and staff to ensure order and enforce compliance with the library’s rules and regulations of acceptable user behavior; closes and secures the building each night.
• Investigates complaints of uncooperative, disruptive user behavior and handles each situation appropriately; monitors problems with authority to recommend appropriate action in regard to repeat offenders.
• Notifies librarian in charge, supervisors and police in cases of serious discipline problems and completes appropriate reports; serves as a liaison with police department.
• Notifies librarian in charge regarding incidents of unattended children at closing; may remain with child as detailed in the library’s Unattended Children Procedures.
• In coordination with the librarian in charge, documents incidents; keeps Program Services Director, appropriate library director, managers and staff informed of security problems.
• Assists program services staff with their duties of cleaning and setting up meeting rooms and with reporting James City County Library meeting room attendance; sorts and shelves materials; reads shelves to maintain shelf order; adjusts collection as needed to relieve overcrowding.