Section Chief – Plan Review Team
• Responsible for the effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
• Manages the inspection process to ensure even distribution of work and schedules and deadlines are met; assigns field inspections and investigations; issues written determinations of compliance when required; handles unsafe structure complaints.
• Manages plan review process; reviews plans of residential, commercial, industrial and institutional structures with lead inspectors to ensure familiarity with proper inspection methods and procedures; works in partnership with contractors, builders, citizens, and other County departments and outside agencies.
• Assists director with interpretations of policies, codes, and regulations; assists staff in the proper use of the governing code and administrative office procedures; keeps staff informed of code changes; participates in the review of new and revised codes.
• Supports the director in the administration of the division; collaborates with staff to ensure that functions of the division are completed; may manage the division in the director’s absence.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or related field; licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia as a registered architect or professional engineer preferred; and, some experience in plan review or inspection, interpreting and applying the codes, related laws and ordinances and progressively responsible supervision.
• Must possess or be able to obtain the following certifications from the Commonwealth of Virginia within 18 months of hire date:
o Building Plans Examiner
o Residential Plans Examiner
o Residential Energy Plans Examiner
• Must possess or be able to obtain a Certified Building Official certification from the Commonwealth of Virginia within 36 months of hire date.
• Advanced knowledge in building code enforcement and administration; considerable knowledge of the means and methods of construction; knowledge of leadership techniques, principles and procedures to assign work, schedule, supervise, train, and evaluate the work of assigned staff; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.