• Provides effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
• Manages Workers’ Compensation program for James City County (JCC) and Williamsburg/James City Public Schools (WJCC), automobile, and general liability and property coverage; reviews adequacy of insurance coverage for protection of assets and liability exposures; recommends and purchases coverage; reviews and analyzes need for any special insurance coverage.
• Analyzes data on claims, incidents, and general operations to develop and recommend policies regarding property and liability insurance, workers’ compensation, safety, employee training, and other areas of risk management; collaborates with departments to ensure policies and best practices are followed.
• Identifies the various loss exposures confronting JCC/WJCC and evaluates the financial impact of such losses; selects the most effective methods of mitigating such risk of loss through avoidance, reduction, or prevention.
• Serves as insurance plan administrator, acts as liaison between JCC/WJCC and vendors, employees, volunteers, citizens, and the public; makes selection of insurance carriers and alternatives for WJCC.
• Oversees the Accident Review Committee and the implementation of related safety recommendations by departments.
• Establishes insurance policies and procedures including establishing Workers’ Compensation Panel of Physicians.
• Ensures claims are filed and handled appropriately; follows up with injured employees, auto, and property damage repair and subrogation flow; reviews loss runs and makes corrections.
• Reviews reports and works with insurance carrier to analyze trends and ensure encumbered monies are justified.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in risk management, business, occupational safety, or related field; and, considerable experience in insurance, safety, and risk management; supervisory and local government experience preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Considerable knowledge of risk management principles, practices, and methods; insurance principles and coverage; claims handling practices; Federal and State safety standards and regulations; basic p