REGIONAL PLANNER I OR II
The Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission (TJPDC) seeks a qualified applicant for a full-time regional planner to join our team. The TJPDC is a regional planning agency that offers a broad range of services in the areas of economic development, land-use/planning, community development, environmental, transportation, and housing planning as well as legislative services. The TJPDC serves the member governments within the Planning District, to include, the City of Charlottesville and the Counties of Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, and Nelson.
Successful applicants will hold the values of professionalism, integrity, accountability, and transparency and will lead and support various projects in an environment where continued professional growth is strongly encouraged. Candidates should have strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills. An immediate opportunity exists in the areas of housing and transportation; however, candidates should be comfortable with applying skills to all content areas.
The successful candidate should possess the ability to:
• Work as a member of a team, both in-person and remotely;
• Think analytically;
• Develop methodology based on loose concepts and understand research processes;
• Collect, analyze, interpret, and visually represent data;
• Prepare professional quality local and regional plans and reports for project and programs goals, implementation, and evaluation of results;
• Establish and maintain positive relationships;
• Take initiative, both by independently managing planning projects and consultants and by seeking pipeline projects and opportunities for the TJPDC;
• Apply for, administer, and manage local, state, and federal grants and contracts with strong financial management; and,
• Follow Title VI requirements for project and program development and implementation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to facilitate public group meetings and committees;
• Computer skills including database management and proficiency in Microsoft Word Excel, PowerPoint, and the Microsoft 365 environment;
• Familiarity or experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Esri, ArcGIS, and/or graphic design preferred.