Recreation Program Coordinator – Aquatics
• Provides effective supervision of assigned staff and volunteers including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
• Coordinates and manages multiple, year-round recreation programs, associated leagues and events; coordinates programming opportunities with division staff, volunteers, instructors and partner organizations.
• Prepares, develops and monitors the annual budget, performance measures and statistics, program and service evaluations, marketing efforts and other daily administrative functions for assigned program area.
• Serves as primary contact and liaison to County staff and community partners; represents the department on interagency councils, committees, community agencies and groups; acts in absence of Operations Manager.
• Oversees daily operations of a park or facility to include coordination of maintenance, cleaning and inspecting, reservations, programs, events, project management and fiscal transactions as needed.
• Ensures assigned facility or park operate in accordance with County safety policies and procedures, and specific regulations that pertain to unique amenities; establishes and enforces unit rules, regulations and procedures.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in recreation or related field, preferably from a National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) accredited college or university; and, some experience in community recreation program planning, design, implementation and evaluation; leading and supervising diverse staff and volunteers; and experience in park and facility management.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must obtain within 6 months of hire a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certificate and a First Aid Certificate from the American Red Cross.
• Program Coordinator for Aquatics must possess or obtain within 6 months of hire, a Certified Pool Operator Certificate from the National Swimming Pool Foundation; American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguarding Instructor, Water Safety Instructor and Water Safety Instructor Trainer certifications preferred.