Recreation Leader (Before & After School)
James City County Parks and Recreation seeks enthusiastic individuals with high energy, great leadership and customer service skills and the ability to work in a team environment to help plan, lead, and coordinate recreational activities such as games, sports, arts and crafts for children ages 5-12 in the Before and After School program. Work schedule times may vary depending on the sire placement. The average work schedule is Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 9:30 am and/or 2:30 pm – 6:00 pm with the exception of current school changes due to COVID-19. Staff may be asked to work 6-8 hour shifts each day, but not to exceed 28 hrs. per week.
• Assist with organizing, leading, and conducting a variety of recreational activities for varying age groups and skill levels; oversee children with activities and on field trips; plan daily activity and snack schedules; and, coordinate family involvement; assists with record keeping and daily documentation and paperwork.
• Establish and maintain rapport with participants, parents, school/center staff, administrative officials, and other community partners; respond to customer inquiries and/or complaints.
• Ensure a safe environment and proper use, inventory, and upkeep of site facilities, supplies, equipment, and vehicles; assist with developing and enforcing site rules; and open, close, and secure facility daily.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some experience working with children of different ages and abilities, preferably in a recreational, state licensed or educational setting.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 60 days of hire, certification from the American Red Cross in First Aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Professional Rescuers (Infant, Adults, and Child).
• Must be at least 18 years of age. (Individuals between 16-18 years of age can be considered with proof of current education and some experience working with children, however certain restrictions apply).
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting and with children, families, staff, and community partners and contacts in a professional manner.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov