Records and Imaging Technician
James City County’s Information Resources Management Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work preserving County records by classifying, indexing, scanning, and storing records in a computerized central records system in accordance with legal or regulatory requirements.
• Prepares land development files for image conversion; creates authenticity sheets for files; scans, performs quality control, makes corrections, and indexes documents into the central records system.
• Serves as customer contact for the public and County staff.
• Responds to requests for information, including Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, from County departments, property owners, contractors, and the public for items such as plans, building permits, site plans, property information, minutes, and boxes/files from off-site records storage; may perform extensive research for some requests.
• Logs and prepares engineering drawings for scanning; performs quality control checks on electronic file to verify document readability before paper documents are destroyed.
• Any equivalent combination of a high school diploma; some experience in records management concepts and best practices, and imaging practices and procedures.
• Must possess reliable transportation to work site(s).
• Knowledge of database software, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook, and Microsoft Office Suite of products including Excel, Word, and Publisher; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; advanced knowledge in operation of computers, scanners, printers, copy machines, telephones, fax machines and microfilm reader/printers.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to create databases and run reports from established computer programs, troubleshoot to determine cause of hardware or software problems; manage time and to keep schedules; establish and maintain effective working relationships with users and vendors; make decisions and recommendations in accordance with established policies and procedures