Real Estate Appraiser I/II/III
James City County’s Real Estate Assessment Division seeks an individual to perform responsible work assembling, evaluating, and analyzing information about property values and using this information to produce uniform, accurate appraisals of residential property in conformance with applicable statutes, codes, and standards of professional practice. There are three levels of Real Estate Appraiser distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Real Estate Appraiser I: $45,074 / year or higher DOQ
Real Estate Appraiser II: $48,347 / year or higher DOQ
Real Estate Appraiser III: $55,653 / year or higher DOQ
• Makes field inspections of new and existing residential property to collect data for use in determining tax assessments; responds to inquiries concerning appraisals.
• Interviews persons familiar with property; collects appropriate data by searching public records of sales, leases, assessments, and other transactions to determine proper value.
• Collects and analyzes information from a variety of sources and applies the analysis in the assessment of routine residential property; analysis may include ratio studies, statistical or sales analysis, or other analytical techniques, as needed.
• Appraises property manually or with the use of a CAMA System.
• Prepares written or oral reports to defend real estate assessments before the Board of Equalization.
• (Real Estate Appraiser I/II/III) Analyzes assessments for equity, identifying value trends and applying the results to appraisal problems; performs valuations of multi-family, commercial and industrial real property; provides analytical and technical assistance to other staff members.