• Prepares, formats, proofreads, and edits items for Board of Supervisors’ meetings, letters, forms, manuals, and other publications to achieve an accurate, professional look.
• Interprets instructions and proofreaders’ marks; revises documents according to instructions; proofreads typed copy for text, content, spelling, punctuation, grammar, and typographical errors; verifies the accuracy of statistical documents; advises author of any discrepancies to be resolved; assists departments in deciding grammar and format standards.
• Follows naming conventions for all documents to be clear, consistent, and easily identified to avoid confusion and help with search functions.
• Generates new forms or revises existing fillable, on-line, or off-line forms in accordance with County standards; converts or scans documents into PDFs for placement on the James City County Internet; ensures all PDFs meet the County standards.
• Provides “help desk” assistance for questions concerning software use, the Internet, and general information on County services
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; considerable experience using Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Visio, word processing, and desktop publishing equipment on a production basis; considerable experience proofreading.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of operations and routine maintenance of word processing and desktop publishing equipment; proper formatting of correspondence, reports, charts, and other publications for business purposes; standard English grammar, punctuation, and spelling to supplement proofreading duties.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions; clearly convey instructions to others; set priorities and manage several projects simultaneously; work under pressure with tight deadlines; independently edit documents; maintain confidentiality of information.