Public Services Inspector
The City of Winchester and the Department of Public Services, Utilities Maintenance Division, invites you to come join our team! The City has an outstanding strategic plan that includes goals and objectives, a clear vision, and a culture of collaboration. We are recruiting for a Public Services Inspector for Construction to perform technical and administrative work including the review of development plans, the oversight of the construction of water projects, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, public buildings, and streets to ensure that the procedures and materials comply with the plans and specifications.
* Reviews construction plans and specifications for compliance with City Codes, Ordinances and Standards;
* Inspects water projects, sanitary sewers, storm sewer, public buildings and streets extensions, and erosion and sediment control measures;
* Assists the public with utility, water/sewer line easement locations, answering questions regarding City Codes, Ordinances, and standards;
* Measures distance to verify accuracy of dimensions of structural installations and layouts;
* Verifies levels, alignment, and elevation of installations;
* Interprets blueprints and specifications for contractors and discusses deviations from specified construction procedures to ensure compliance
with regulations governing construction;
* Prepares sketches of construction installations that deviate from blueprints and reports such changes for incorporation on master blueprints;
* Other duties as assigned.
Candidates interested in this role must have any combination of education and experience equivalent to a High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) plus two years of Municipal Utility construction related experience, required. An Associate’s Degree with coursework in construction trades or a related field is preferred. Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector certificate for the State of Virginia or the ability to obtain certificate within one year of date of hire.
This classification specification is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned in the full job description and as required by management. City of Winchester reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. Moreover, management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties or working schedules based on their duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities.