• Provides effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work, and related activities.
• Assists the Director of Community Development and Planning in establishing policies and procedures for assigned area of responsibility, including developing budget and work program for the Division.
• Works with the Director to implement, monitor and evaluate initiatives and directives of the Board of Supervisors and County Administrator.
• Manages and evaluates long-range projects, special projects, and development proposals; oversees staff communication with media on projects.
• Reviews, explains, interprets, and promotes compliance with established rules, policies and procedures; drafts correspondence to property owners, developers, agencies, and others; serves as liaison for division; attends meetings and makes recommendations to committees, commissions and elected officials.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, urban planning, architecture or related field; considerable work experience.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of urban and regional planning and development; Federal, State, and local ordinances, codes, and regulations pertaining to planning, zoning, and community development; considerable knowledge in public administration and finance as related to urban planning.
• Skill in use of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate research projects; make effective presentations in oral, written, and graphic form; organize, motivate, and supervise professional, technical, and clerical personnel engaged in planning, zoning, and community development and evaluate their work; initiate and effectively carry projects through to completion in a timely fashion and ensure that the section work program and projects meets identified County goals and objectives; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors; work as a team member