Police Officer I
The Winchester Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of police officer to establish an eligibility list of qualified applicants. The eligibility list will remain active until mid-July at which time the list will expire. During the time period in which the list is active, qualified applicants will complete the written test, physical fitness test, panel interview and polygraph exam. All open positions within the department will be filled from the eligibility list unless qualified Virginia certified law enforcement officers are available.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
• On an assigned shift, operates a police vehicle, bicycle, or walks to observe for criminal and traffic violations;
• Looks for suspicious activities and checks on suspicious persons;
• Checks on disturbance of law and order and arrests suspects who violate the law;
• Writes and reports incidents;
• Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints;
• Serves warrants and testifies in court;
• Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities;
• Assists in criminal investigations along with presenting evidence in court;
• Assists in interviewing victims and witnesses, prepares property and evidence duties, records and issues evidence in court cases;
• Maintains a physical presence at events to prevent behavioral problems; and
• Assists in preparing detailed reports.
For the complete listing for this position please visit the City of Winchester’s website at www.winchesterva.gov.
NOTE: This classification specification is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned and required by management. City of Winchester reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. Moreover, management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties or working schedules based on their duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities. This classification specification does not constitute a written contract of employment.