Job Summary: Performs general police duties in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Responsibilities include routine patrol, and preliminary investigation of miscellaneous rules, regulations and policies. Work requires the exercise of initiative and discretion and involves an element of personal danger.
Must be 21 years of age, possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License, have a High School diploma or GED equivalent, and have no felony or recent misdemeanor convictions.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
• Operate a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
• Enforce the laws and ordinances of the Town, Commonwealth and other pertinent laws.
• Respond to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints.
• Issue citations, warnings or makes arrests for traffic violations.
• Serve warrants, make arrests, and testify in court.
• Provide police escorts, direct traffic, perform residential and commercial checks.
• Maintain order at public events and other gatherings.
• Fill out arrest records, fingerprints, photographs, etc.
• Prepare and update conditions existing in street or other public facilities.
• Transport prisoners to prison facilities.
• Conduct initial investigations and secures evidence.
• Inspect vehicles and notify garage of defective patrol units.
• Participate in a variety of in-service training programs.
• May be assigned to crime prevention, special duty, special operations.
• Must show courtesy and respect to the community.
• Perform related tasks as required.