Plumbing/Mechanical/Gas Inspector I/II/III
James City County’s Building Safety and Permits division is seeking an individual to perform responsible or experienced work inspecting plumbing, mechanical, and gas systems and equipment in new and remodeled residential and commercial buildings to ensure compliance with appropriate federal, state, and local codes, regulations, and laws. There are three levels of Inspector distinguished by the level of work performed and qualifications.
Inspector I – $38,527 – $61,644 / year DOQ
Inspector II – $41,428 – $66,285 / year DOQ
Inspector III – $44,545 -$71,272 / year DOQ
• Inspects plumbing, mechanical, and gas systems and equipment in residential or commercial construction work for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County ordinances.
• Reviews assigned inspection tickets to verify proper sequence of inspections; plans and organizes daily inspection route.
• Maintains effective working relationships with the plans examiners, contractors, building owners, and the public.
• Provides customer service to the public and internal customers, in person, over the telephone, or online.
• Investigates and reports Damage Assessments as needed following major weather events.
• (Inspector II) Serves as a Combination Inspector performing combination inspections in various trades.
• (Inspector III) Performs a broad range of advanced inspections in residential and commercial construction work in one or more system areas (building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, electric) for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County ordinances; assists with plan reviews.