Plans Examiner I/II/III
James City County’s Building Safety & Permits Division seeks an individual to perform experienced work reviewing residential and commercial plans and specifications for general conformance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC), federal and state laws, and local ordinances.
There are 3 levels of Plans Examiner distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Plans Examiner I: $ 45,074 / year or higher DOQ
Plans Examiner II: $ 48,347 / year or higher DOQ
Plans Examiner III: $ 51,868 / year or higher DOQ
• Performs a broad range of plan reviews for residential structures; assists with commercial plan review as needed.
• Reviews plans for general conformance with the VUSBC, federal and state laws, and local ordinances.
• Makes interpretations of the building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical code requirements that define approved system installations; prepares plan review letters outlining code deficiencies identified during plan review.
• Provides customer service to the general public, internal customers, and outside agencies; answers questions related to the code.
• Supports the inspectors by assuring that the approved construction documents are ready for use in the field.
• Acts as liaison between the division, general contractors, trade contractors, and property owners; acts as liaison with other jurisdictions’ inspection departments.
• Serves as a technical assistant to the County Building Official.