• Performs a broad range of plan reviews for residential structures; assists with commercial plan review as needed.
• Reviews plans for general conformance with the VUSBC, federal and state laws, and local ordinances.
• Makes interpretations of the building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical code requirements that define approved system installations; prepares plan review letters outlining code deficiencies identified during plan review.
• Provides customer service to the general public, internal customers, and outside agencies; answers questions related to the code.
• Supports the inspectors by assuring that the approved construction documents are ready for use in the field.
• Acts as liaison between the division, general contractors, trade contractors, and property owners; acts as liaison with other jurisdictions’ inspection departments.
• Serves as a technical assistant to the County Building Official.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Bachelor’s degree in architectural, engineering technology, or related field; and, considerable experience in at least one of the following areas: building construction; building, fire, or housing inspections; plumbing, electrical, or mechanical trades, or fire protection.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 18 months of hire, a Residential Plans Examiner certification from the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 3 years of hire , an Energy Plans Examiner certification from the Commonwealth of Virginia:
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of architecture, engineering, fire protection, and building construction methods and materials; the codes, principles, techniques, and equipment used in building, electrical, or plumbing and mechanical systems; and, principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with contractors, building owners, and the public; enforce codes with firmness, tact, and impartiality.