The City of Manassas Community Development Department is seeking a charismatic, energetic, team-oriented individual that is highly motivated to perform complex professional, technical, and administrative work managing all activities of the City of Manassas Long-Range Planning Division. The selected incumbent will be part of an active planning team with a variety of opportunities for special projects and citizen engagement. Because of the variety of projects and assignments involved, the ideal candidate will be a self-starter, detail-oriented, have the ability to manage multiple concurrent deadlines, and have excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
Typical duties include:
– Managing, supervising, and directing all activities of the Long-Range Planning Division including current planning (rezoning and special use permit applications), transportation planning, and comprehensive planning;
– Supervising special projects and major planning and zoning studies, including working closely with the director on the basic conceptualization of studies through their final adoption and implementation;
– Overseeing amendments to various codes and policies including the Zoning Ordinance and the Comprehensive Plan;
Coordination with other City Departments to ensure Comprehensive Plan consistency in City-wide efforts;
– Creating and delivering presentations regarding planning activities to the City Council, Planning Commission, and other community organizations; and
– Providing primary staff support for the Planning Commission and land use matters before the City Council and related committees.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
– Master’s degree in City or Regional Planning, Public Administration, or related field
– Seven (7) years’ experience in professional planning in local government or equivalent is required.
– Possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license
The preferred candidate will have excellent writing and public speaking skills, and possess (or have the ability to obtain within 18 months) AICP Certification.
Language stipend available for Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills.
Evening work and public meeting attendance is also required.