• Process and review legislative and administrative development applications for adherence to County goals and policies, and prepares recommendations and reports on assigned cases.
• Manage assigned projects and cases by coordinating and facilitating inter-departmental and inter-agency review.
• Present assigned projects, reports, cases, and other materials and acts as a liaison to local and regional committees, appointed boards and the Board of Supervisors.
• Respond to citizen, applicant, developer, and media inquiries related to planning matters related to the Comprehensive Plan, ordinances, and development cases.
• Participate in the development of the Comprehensive Plan, transportation and special projects, policies, and recommendations concerning the development of the County.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in planning or related field.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of professional planning; requirements for land development, engineering practices, transportation planning and applicable procedures; some knowledge of economics, political science, sociology, and municipal finance as applied to professional planning.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing; compile and analyze technical and statistical information and prepare reports, plans, policies, ordinances, and other planning documents; prepare and present technical information clearly to large groups and the public; establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues, employees, representatives of other public agencies, and the public; collaborate and negotiate effectively; work as a team member; read and interpret site plans, conceptual plans, and subdivision plats.
• Ability to attend night meetings.