Located on the historic Virginia Peninsula, James City County offers a great blend of friendly, small-town feel and big city culture and resources. As one of the divisions responsible for maintaining James City County’s high quality of life, the James City County Planning Division is seeking an individual to perform experienced/advanced professional work to achieve the vision of the Comprehensive Plan through long-range planning and development review functions to fulfill the mission of the County of working in partnership with all citizens to achieve a quality community. There are 3 levels of Planner distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Planner I: $41,428 / year or higher DOQ
Planner II: $44,545 / year or higher DOQ
Planner III: $47,898 / year or higher DOQ
• Process and review legislative and administrative development applications for adherence to County goals and policies, and prepares recommendations and reports on assigned cases.
• Manage assigned projects and cases by coordinating and facilitating inter-departmental and inter-agency review.
• Present assigned projects, reports, cases, and other materials and acts as a liaison to local and regional committees, appointed boards and the Board of Supervisors.
• Respond to citizen, applicant, developer, and media inquiries related to planning matters related to the Comprehensive Plan, ordinances, and development cases.
• Participate in the development of the Comprehensive Plan, transportation and special projects, policies, and recommendations concerning the development of the County.