permit technician i or ii
the department of code administration is looking for a permit technician. the permit technician i and ii are part of a career ladder with increasing responsibilities. as a permit technician i or ii, you will review and process applications for permits, issue permits, collect data, and respond to inquiries concerning the virginia building and construction codes. incumbents in this class must be able to read and understand plats, construction plans, perform basic engineering calculations, and operate related professional office software. the incumbent performs related work as required.
• demonstrates knowledge and practice of outstanding customer service skills;
• assist customers in reviewing necessary documents for approvals provided by other city departments prior to issuing permits from the department of code administration;
• provides information to the public regarding various virginia building code regulations, city of alexandria codes and the department’s permitting policies, procedures and licensing requirements; responds to telephone inquiries regarding permits, process, procedures and handles complaints;
• review, process and issue electronic construction related permits;
• verify contractor and business licensing by the commonwealth of virginia and the city of alexandria; verify that plans are complete and all required information has been submitted;
• interacts with outside architectural/ engineering and design firms, contractors and homeowners via in-person, telephone and e-mail; refers callers to appropriate city agencies to handle request and/or complaints;
• calculates permit fees based on established fee schedule; • determines the appropriate departments for review; • performs related work as required.
the ideal candidate
the ideal candidate should be able to acquire and apply knowledge of the city of alexandria permit process and requirements to obtain construction related permits. demonstrate completion of both the virginia department of housing and community development core academy and permit technician course modules and be able to understand and apply the virginia uniform statewide building codes. the candidate should be able to achieve and foster partnerships with all customers, both internal and external, to provide a safe and healthy built environment.