James City County Building Safety & Permits Division is seeking an individual to perform responsible work processing, issuing, and tracking applications, registrations, requests and payments.
• Provides first point of customer service at the front counter and on the telephone; responds to emails and letters; and provides administrative support to Building Safety and Permits Division staff members.
• Processes permit applications, contractor registration, inspection requests, and payments; issues permits and certificates of occupancy; tracks permits and inspections; and, oversees and tracks daily collection of fees and pre-paid contractor accounts.
• Maintains office workflow by studying methods, implementing efficiencies and developing reporting procedures; maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and maintaining professional networks.
• Manages utility meter release approvals and utility red-tag notifications.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; business school diploma or certificate and experience as permit technician preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 18 months of hire, certification as a permit technician from the Commonwealth of Virginia in accordance with the Virginia Certification Standards.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of at least one of the following areas: building construction; building, fire, or housing inspections; plumbing, electrical or mechanical trades; or fire protection, elevator or property maintenance work; knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; and, knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
• Skill in the use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.