Paralegal (Circuit Court Judge’s Office)
The Circuit Court Judge’s Office is seeking an individual to perform advanced administrative support for the Circuit Court resident judge, substitute judges and Court of Appeals judges. Maintains daily office operations for the Circuit Court judge’s office. Performs a broad spectrum of complex senior level, technical and administrative duties. Brings a knowledge and expertise to the judiciary. Performs in a fast-paced setting and deals with sensitive matters in both nature and timing. Exercises initiative, sound judgment and discretion in the performance of duties.
• Serves as a first point of contact for criminal cases in the Circuit Court judge’s office, reviewing, screening and answering incoming communications, independently answering inquiries of attorneys, pro se parties, and other agencies.
• Provides administrative support to judges. Attends criminal court proceedings, takes notes of proceedings and records pleas, findings and sentences. Identifies evidentiary exhibits, takes custody of real evidence and records chain of custody. Completes disposition cards and all necessary paperwork for commitment to jail and referrals to supervising agencies.
• Conducts initial document review, gathering of documents, correspondence, and research and inputs data into case management system.
• Prepares and assists with cases for bench and jury trials; prepares and processes documents for filing and recording.
• Manages Circuit Court docket scheduling of bench and jury trials. Coordinates criminal docket with the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.
• Prepares and assists with criminal court orders such as orders of conviction, adjudication or jail commitments based upon notes taken during court hearings.
• Reviews correspondence, legal memoranda, motions, pleadings, notices, discovery orders, and protective orders for review and filing by attorneys.
• Works closely with the clerk’s office to facilitate workflow; prioritizes work and ensures that work is completed in a timely manner