Operations Manager/Public Works
Summary & Scope of Responsibilities: This high-level management position will oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Public Works Department. Work is performed under direction with considerable latitude. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the Town’s Public Works and Utilities operations. Position manages all public work crews through subordinate supervisors. Position requires an extensive depth of expertise and knowledge in Public Works that can be used to develop efficient and innovative ways to operate.
Essential Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Provides management and supervision of various operational sections within the Public Works and Utilities Departments
• Schedules and prioritizes day to day operational work assignments; manages the day to day operations, planning, organizing, and directing work crews
• Supervises staff, including assigning tasks and projects, reviewing work and assisting staff with prioritization and completion of assignments
• Receives, investigates and responds to the more complex inquires and complaints; resolves technical and operational problems
• Evaluates operational processes for effectiveness and efficiency, prepares reports, and makes recommendations for improvement as needed
• Directs the development and implementation of Public Works Department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area
• Develops and implements a preventative maintenance plan for Town vehicles, equipment, and buildings
• Evaluates relative value of in-house vs. contracted services; develops and administers contracts for materials and services
• Coordinates with the Public Works Director and within Town policy and budget constraints, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; meets with the Town Manager and department heads to identify and resolve issues
• Maintains effective record keeping systems; prepares reports and correspondence
• Provides comprehensive administrative reviews of work activities, costs, staffing requirements, equipment uses, and time requirements
• Provides technical support to the Town Manager and Public Works Director on a wide variety of operational problems
See Job Description for full scope of work.
Positions open until filled. EOE. Applications may be obtained online at www.colonialbeachva.net.